Monday, February 1, 2010

Writer's Daughters Writing

    
My starter husband's daughter just published her first book, the account of her first 30 years, which includes her marriage and divorce. The book is How to Get Divorced by Thirty by Sascha Rothchild, who quotes her writer father on the subject of me and our honeymoon. People think I'm crazy for reading the book and laughing. Actually, I have a great deal of empathy for her, having had a writer for a father myself. My failings are not the only ones exposed; she more-or-less does open heart surgery on herself. It is an impressive first book, maybe her screenwriting successes account for that. The book helped me finally get a bead on one of the many theories I've had about why my starter marriage ended way before I was thirty. Deep incompatibility. I take everything seriously and I hate Florida. My X took nothing seriously and was born and has stayed in the Sunshine State. I couldn't imagine a child of mine enjoying Las Vegas or living in Los Angeles, which Sascha does. So everything works out the way it is meant to, and along the way, I've acquired a sense of humor, but I will never like Las Vegas or Los Angeles.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment